This is a full time, one year programme developed and delivered by the Prince’s Foundation School of Traditional Arts. All artists – from the enthusiast to the established – are welcomed to apply.
The programme focuses on geometry patterns and design, biomorphic (floral) ornamentation, color harmony and decorative techniques, with applications in painting, woodwork, textiles, and ceramics within the rich art and architectural heritage of Pakistan.
This Diploma Programme seeks to provide students with
• a coherent programme of study at foundation level in the traditional arts
• an introduction to practice and philosophy in the traditional arts
• an engagement with local cultural heritage
• basic skills in traditional craft and art that are transferable to other creative industries
• an introduction to design skills in the arts and crafts
On successful completion of the Diploma, students will have acquired:
• a transferable qualification in the traditional arts and crafts
• a portfolio of work in traditional arts and crafts
• basic design skills
• experiencing of initiating, planning and completing a significant project
• an understanding of the practice and philosophy of traditional arts and crafts
• basic skills in select crafts/traditional arts
• transferable practical and design skills
• experience of engaging with their cultural heritage
• presentation and communication skills
• organization skills
• the ability to keep and work with notebooks and logs
• studio etiquette and discipline
• the ability to work independently and as part of a team
The course consists of inter-related modules that provide a sound foundation in design principles and skills application training of traditional arts and crafts of Pakistan and the surrounding regions. The curriculum is cross-disciplinary and combines a variety of teaching methods that will be employed as appropriate such as visual presentations drawing exercises, workshop activities, individual tuition, discussions, illustrated study guides and practical skills development.
Each module provides students with transferable skills that are reinforced as they are applied throughout the programme.
Benefits to Students
• This new Diploma Programme seeks to draw out the skills of both aspiring young artists and practicing professionals who are aiming to pursue or enhance a career in the field of art.
• Open to those who have successfully completed grade 12/Intermediate/A Levels, this programme will help students to nurture their inherent creativity and identify potential career paths.
• The students will be introduced to basic art techniques and skills within the context of Pakistan’s rich cultural heritage. This programme will be led by skilled tutors trained by the School of Traditional Arts, London.
• This programme will provide a foundation for those wishing to enroll in a degree programme in renowned arts institutes around the world. Dedicated Diploma students will build an excellent portfolio of visual research and practical creative output.
• Practicing professionals such as architects, interior and exterior designers, product designers, art teachers, and craftspersons will have an opportunity to further develop their skills under the guidance of expert tutors from the School of Traditional Arts.
• The diploma can serve as a CPD programme for teachers and other professionals, improving their employability and enhancing their creative contributions within the workplace.
• High achievers emerging from the VMCTA Diploma Programme can apply for further studies at The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts, London, as well as competitive art institutes worldwide.
Eligibility & Registration
• Applicants must have cleared intermediate/ ‘A’ levels and be at least eighteen years old at the time of registration. No previous art or design experience is required, although it will be advantageous.
• Applicants will first be accessed on their portfolio, written answers to 4 questions in the application document, and their response to the “Inspired by Tradition” assignment.
• Those passing the first stage will be invited to an interview at VMCTA.
• The interviewing panel will consist of representatives from the Prince’s Foundation School of Traditional Arts and the local team at VMCTA.
• The top 25 candidates will be offered a place on the Diploma Programme with a waiting list of 5 candidates.
• Once the offer has been accepted by the applicant, official enrolment is subject to payment of the course fees as per the scheduled fee structure.
The fee structure for year 2020 shall be as follows:
The total fee for the Diploma Programme 2020 is 240,000.00 PKR.
Administration fee: Rs. 15,000.00 (To be paid before the start of the programme)
Lab/workshop fee: Rs. 25,000.00 (To be paid before the start of the programme)
Materials Fee: Rs. 20,000.00 (50% to be paid before the start of the programme)
Fee for total two semesters: Rs. 180,000.00 (Rs. 90,000/semester payable in advance)
*All fees are non-refundable