VMCTA Diploma Programme – September 2021 (Applications open till 31st August 2021)
This is a full time, one-year programme developed and delivered by the Prince’s Foundation School of Traditional Arts. All artists – from the enthusiast to the established – are welcomed to apply.
The programme focuses on geometry patterns and design, biomorphic (floral) ornamentation, colour harmony and decorative techniques, with applications in painting, woodwork, textiles, and ceramics within the rich art and architectural heritage of Pakistan.
In response the current pandemic situation and restrictions to travel, the School of Traditional Arts has worked closely with VMCTA to adapt many of the Diploma Programme modules for online delivery. This will ensure that our tutors and students deliver and receive quality education in the safety and comfort of their homes. The first semester (September 2021 – December 2021) of the diploma programme can be completely attended virtually.
VMCTA will arrange for some materials and coursebooks to be posted to the students while the expert tutors from the School of Traditional Arts deliver the sessions live from London. Students will be required to attend these live teaching sessions, with attendance closely monitored. Karachi-based TAs will also be on hand to provide additional support. The second semester (February 2022 – August 2022) will offer a mix of virtual and on-site programme delivery.
There will be approximately 3 months to be spent in Karachi to attend those modules which require workshop access and handling of specialist tools under expert supervision. VMCTA will be offering suggestions for accommodation facilities by third parties for students travelling to Karachi for these months. VMCTA will also be offering up to 10 seats for the first semester only to open up the opportunity to those students who cannot attend the full programme. These students will receive a certificate of attendance for all modules they attend.
The online sessions will be delivered between 12.00 noon – 17.00 Pakistan time as the teachers delivering the course are mostly based in the UK. The onsite classroom sessions will run from 9.00 – 14.00 at the Centre in Karachi. The exact timings will be confirmed closer to the start date. This is a full-time programme and would require commitment from students to work on their own before or after the sessions to complete the assignments. The workshop, studios and study centre will be open throughout the programme, however pre-booking will be required to maintain the safe distancing.
This Diploma Programme seeks to provide students with
- a coherent programme of study at foundation level in the traditional arts
- an introduction to practice and philosophy in the traditional arts
- an engagement with local cultural heritage
- basic skills in traditional craft and art that are transferable to other creative industries
- an introduction to design skills in the arts and crafts
On successful completion of the Diploma, students will have acquired:
- A transferable qualification in the traditional arts and crafts
- A portfolio of work in traditional arts and crafts
- Basic design skills
- Experiencing initiating, planning, and completing a significant project
- An understanding of the practice and philosophy of traditional arts and crafts
- Basic skills in select crafts/traditional arts
- Transferable practical and design skills
- Experience of engaging with their cultural heritage
- Presentation and communication skills
- Organisation skills
- The ability to keep and work with notebooks and logs
- Studio etiquette and discipline
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
The course consists of inter-related modules that provide a sound foundation in design principles and skills application training of traditional arts and crafts of Pakistan and the surrounding regions. The curriculum is cross disciplinary and combines variety of teaching methods that will be employed as appropriate such as visual presentations drawing exercises, workshop activities, individual tuition, discussions, illustrated study guides and practical skills development.
Each module provides students with transferable skills that are reinforced as they are applied throughout the programme.
Benefits to students
This new Diploma Programme seeks to draw out the skills of both aspiring young artists and practicing professionals who are aiming to pursue or enhance a career in the field of art.
Open to those who have successfully completed grade 12/Intermediate/A Levels, this programme will help students to nurture their inherent creativity and identify potential career paths.
The students will be introduced to basic arts techniques and skills within the context of Pakistan’s rich cultural heritage. This programme will be led by skilled tutors trained by the School of Traditional Arts, London.
This programme will provide a foundation for those wishing to enrol in a degree programme in renowned arts institutes around the world. Dedicated Diploma students will build an excellent portfolio of visual research and practical creative output.
Practicing professionals such as architects, interior and exterior designers, product designers, art teachers, and crafts persons will have an opportunity to further develop their skills under the guidance of expert tutors from the School of Traditional Arts.
The diploma can serve as a CPD programme for teachers and other professionals, improving their employability and enhancing their creative contributions within the workplace.
High achievers emerging from the VMCTA Diploma Programme can apply for further studies at The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts, London, as well as competitive art institutes worldwide.
Eligibility & Registration
- Applicants must have cleared intermediate/ ‘A’ levels and be at least eighteen years old at the time of registration. No previous art or design experience is required, although it will be advantageous.
- Applicants will first be accessed on their portfolio, written answers to 4 questions in the application document, and their response to the “Inspired by Tradition” assignment.
- Those passing the first stage will be invited to an interview at VMCTA.
- The interviewing panel will consist of representatives from the Prince’s Foundation School of Traditional Arts and the local team at VMCTA.
- The top 20 candidates will be offered a place on the Diploma Programme with a waiting list of 5 candidates.
- Once the offer has been accepted by the applicant, official enrolment is subject to payment of the course fees as per the scheduled fee structure.
The total fee for the Diploma Programme is PKR 245,000 (USD 3000).
This includes the following:
|Students attending full programme||1st Semester Charges|
|Administration fee||Rs. 15,000||Rs. 10,000|
|Workshop Fee||Rs. 25,000|
|Materials Fee||Rs. 25,000||Rs. 15,000|
|Postage Fee||Reimburse actual cost||Reimburse actual cost|
|Tuition Fee||Rs. 180,000||Rs. 110,000|
|Total||Rs. 245,000||Rs. 135,000|
|Payment||Rs. 135,000 at the start of the programme. Rs. 110,000 start of 2nd Semester||Rs. 135,000 start of the Semester|
|USD (for overseas Pakistani students)||USD 3,000||USD 1,500|
Please click here to fill in the form. To apply to join the VMCTA Diploma Programme (launching September 2021), please submit the following to email@example.com no later than 22nd August 2021:
All candidates must submit a digital portfolio of 4-10 images of recent work, including at least 2 images from the “Inspired by Tradition” assignment. Images should be high quality. If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to bring the pieces submitted as part of your digital portfolio.
Diploma Application Assignment
“Inspired by Tradition”
Choose one of the six images as given in the prospectus and study the designs carefully. Make sketches and analyses, then produce your own piece inspired by what you have learned from this process.
Your piece may be in any medium but must clearly show how you have sought to understand principles such as: colour harmony, composition, geometry, and floral design.
This piece should be approximately A3 in size. Please take care to present your work professionally.
Applications must be received in full by 22nd August 2021. Interview invitations will be extended as applications are received.
Successful applicants will be notified within 2 weeks of the interview. Classes will begin September 2021, exact dates to be confirmed.